Sunday, January 30, 2011

Repsonse to Bryan

Bryan asked, "Do you think that students who are not passionate about improving their intellectual abilities while in college should even be allowed to be in college?"

I think everyone should have access to higher education, and since it is unattainable for so many people as it is, I have trouble saying that I think that we shouldn't allow certain people in to college. However, I am frustrated by the people who go to college when they don't appreciate it, when there are so many people who would to do anything for those opportunities. I think that one reason why we see so many ungrateful college students is because it has become more and more necessary to have a college degree in order to get a job. I think this is a bad thing. Not all jobs should require a degree. I don't understand why certain people should have to go to college for something that they can just learn how to do on the job. Obviously, a college education can make someone a more well-rounded person, and if somebody wants to go to college just to become more well-rounded, then that is totally legitimate. But I think many people today feel like once they graduate high school, they have to go to college, because it is just the next step in life. This may be why a lot of college students may seem apathetic, or unappreciative.

Question: How can we make college for accessible to everyone, but still exclusive to people who want it?

1 comment:

  1. That's a tough -- and important -- question. We should spend a week on it.

    ReplyDelete