I think most of us would agree that there is something wrong with how test-focused most school curriculum are. Teachers end up teaching students how to take a test, instead of teaching the actual material. A big end-of-the-year exam seizes control of the entire course, so that there is no room for learning anything that is not relevant to the test. Tests also create a lot of anxiety in young people, teaching them that education is something to be fearful of. In addition, tests are not always an accurate assessment of a student's knowledge. Students who are not good test-takers or have test anxiety may not do well on exams, but may still be understanding the material. However, there are some benefits to testing. The most obvious benefit is that it is an easy and convenient (although not foolproof) way to assess a student's learning. Additionally, test-taking itself is a good skill to have. Granted, the fact that I can ace a history test by using my test-taking skills does not mean I have actually learned anything about history. However, learning how to take tests teaches students how to be problem-solvers and logical thinkers. I think test-taking in itself is a valuable skill. However, I also believe that our schools' strict focus on tests as the only form of assessment is damaging to students' education.
Question: Should schools get rid of traditional testing, have fewer tests, or stay the way they are?
I have responded to your question.
ReplyDeleteI replied to this post
ReplyDelete