As I read about constructivism, I began to think about how it could be applied in the classroom, and I think that constructivism would be a good approach to learning math. Many people seem to be frustrated and confused by math because it seems "made up". As someone who loves math, I have heard this so much from people. They feel like the rules of math are completely arbitrary, random, and just do not make any sense. I believe that people may feel this way because they have been taught a set of rules to memorize. Math is something that can be discovered, and I think what you learn is a lot more valuable if you discover it on your own. Instead of just teaching kids that 1+1=2, because that's just the way it is, kids should be able to explore math on their own and come to an understanding of the concepts. I know that the first time I was shown a hands-on, concrete example of the concept of pi, I was so amazed that I had been using pi for so long without having any understanding of it. And I immediately understood it after seeing it. This may be an example of different learning styles, but I think this approach would work with most people.
Question: Do constructivist teaching methods cater to certain learning styles?
No comments:
Post a Comment