Saturday, February 26, 2011

Radical Constructivism and Multicultural Education

I have been thinking about Radical Constructivism and how it relates to our last topic, multicultural education, and I think they go together quite nicely. Radical Constructivism is concerned with experience. No student/learner comes from the same perspective. No student/learner has experienced the world in the same way. Multicultural education acknowledges and honors differences in students that may shape they way they perceive the world. So, I think a Radical Constructivist would be suited for multicultural education. The article "Re-examining lived experiences: Radical constructivism and gender", by Angela Calabrese Barton*, discusses radical constructivism and teaching science to girls. The article argues that science typically "embraces masculine values and ways of knowing the world". By taking a radical constructivist approach to teaching science, these biases may not be as harmful to students.



*Here is the article: faculty.ed.uiuc.edu/m-osbor/osborne/4.rtf


Question: Do radical constructivism and multiculturalism really go hand in hand, or have I overlooked something?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Emily. I responded to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Emily. I didn't respond to your question, but I responded to something you mentioned in your post, if you'd like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete