When would it be prudent for the Radical Constructivist to doubt reality and objective truth in everyday life?
I think that it is probably never necessary to question things like "Is this person I'm talking to actually real?" or "Is this paper that I'm writing actually really due tomorrow, or did I just construct that in my own reality?". For the sake of functioning in society, these kinds of questions are not necessary. However, in the vein of teaching and learning, it is practical to question "objective truths" that one learns in school, or things that are taken for granted as "fact" by the general population. Because we only have our own experiences to make judgments of the world from, we must always be mindful of the fact that everybody assesses "truths" about the world from their own point of view, and therefore there is no way for a human to be objective about anything. However, I don't know if a radical constructivist can pick and choose what he or she is going to question in everyday life. I would think that, especially being radical constructivism, the radical constructivist would want to apply this philosophy to everything in his or her life.
Question: Should a radical constructivist pick and chose what they are going to apply their theory to in everyday life?
Hey Emily, I responded to this post.
ReplyDelete