Something I have brought up in class before is how, in my experience, educators have often compared being a student to being a worker. When I was younger I was told that school was my job and my report card was my paycheck. I think that teachers probably said this as a way to motivate students to work towards a reward, but I think this student-worker analogy is flawed. Students really are not like workers. Workers are contributing something to society, whereas students usually are not. Students are learning things that other people already know, so although students do "work", they are usually not discovering anything new in their studies. I have heard college students say things like "Why should I pay to go to college and do a lot of work when I would be getting paid to do work at a job?" The answer is because as a student, you are studying things that other people already know. As a worker, you are either serving society in some way or creating new important things. When students are treated like workers, they develop a sense of entitlement. After all, workers are entitled to pay and benefits. So students come to feel like they deserve rewards just for being students.
Question: How should students be treated, if not like workers?
Hey Emily! I'm responding to your question.
ReplyDelete