Shelby's book review of "Not For Profit: Why Democracy needs the Humanities" got me thinking. I totally agree with the book's premise that the humanities are important to a democracy and are worthwhile disciplines to pursue. Shelby spoke about how people express concern over the fact that she is a philosophy major, because she "wont make any money". Throughout the semester, we have commented on the fact that education- especially college- should not be about job training, but instead about a love for learning. While I love the idea of learning for the sake of learning, it is not realistic in this economy. People who are lucky enough to go to college are hoping it will get them a high paying job in the future because money is so important to survival. The people who can view college as "learning for the sake of learning" are lucky. It must mean that, generally, they do not have to worry about money. I have seen people at MCLA who are so focused on getting their degree as fast as they can and getting a good paying job because they have to be. They can't afford to stay in college forever and just take classes that interest them.
Question: How can we re imagine the world to be a place where people could afford to learn for the sake of learning?
Hey Em, thanks for responding. I totally agree with you, and I know that I'm incredibly lucky not to have to worry about money right now. I try to keep that in mind while I'm in college, realize that not many people are in situations as fortunate as mine, and use that as my drive to do well. I would never forgive myself for having this opportunity and wasting it. Hopefully, I (and other college students like me) can use my fortunate situation in order to help others to better their lives.
ReplyDelete